Tax returns filed late or from prior years

Missed a tax deadline or simply didn’t have time to get it done? Whatever the reason you fell behind, we can help you!!


A tax return is overdue if it is not lodged by the due date (FTL). The FTL penalty is calculated as one penalty unit per 29 days the return is overdue. The maximum penalty unit for a small entity is five. An entity of medium size will incur a multiplication of two.

Withholding PAYG or having an income assessable to GST, or a turnover of $100K to $20K is considered an entity between large and medium. Large entities have a penalty of five times the assessable income or current GST turnover if they withhold PAYG or have a $20 million or more assessed income.

You may be subject to penalties if you have more than one outstanding tax return, a poor lodgement history, or you haven't complied with the laws governing lodging a tax return.

What Are The Requirements For Filing A Tax Return?

You must file a tax return if you earn over $18,200 per year. Although you may not be entitled to government benefits if you earned less than that amount and did not pay tax, you still need to file a tax return. In this case, you'll need to file a 'non-lodgement' advice with the ATO, which will ensure you have no outstanding records or tax returns.

How Do I File a Late Tax Return?

We can check to see if you have missed any tax returns and whether you have lodged them. Registered tax agents have access to tax records that most people cannot get through direct portals with the ATO. When you call, you'll need to provide us with your Tax File Number (TFN) or your Notice of Assessment or ATO reference number.

If you have more than one outstanding tax return, we'll need to know that as well. In addition, our Tax Accounts will check your income statements with the ATO for the year/s of your outstanding tax refund and look for any tax debts you may have. From 2001 onwards, our Tax Accountants can access your employer payment summaries, bank interest income, dividend income and private health insurance information. We will charge our standard tax return fees. If you cannot find all of your receipts, our Tax Accountant will use the data we have access to.

Upon request, Instant Tax Refunds Accountants will advise what claims you are eligible to make and will work hard to maximize your outstanding years tax refund. In general, the more work-related expenses you can claim, the greater your tax refund will be.

We will calculate your details and file a non-lodgement tax return on your behalf once we calculate your details.

Feel free to contact us for any assistance you may require. At Instant Tax Refunds, we strive to provide high-quality service that constantly meets and sometimes exceeds our customers' expectations.

9 views0 comments