Tax Deductions Ambulance Officers and Paramedics

Your dedication to patients is lauded and we want to give back by putting together a list of all the expenses you can claim on your tax return.

You can deduct out-of-pocket expenses that you incurred throughout the years, but were not reimbursed by your employer, from your tax return.

Tax Deductions for Ambulance Officers and Paramedics: Accommodation and Travel

  • If you do not receive a meal allowance from your employer, you can claim costs related to meals when working overtime. Generally, you can claim up to the allowable amount without keeping receipts, but it's a good idea to keep receipts so your claim goes more smoothly.

  • For work purposes you may be required to stay away from home overnight, and you may be entitled to reimbursement for meals and lodging.

  • If you work at two different places of employment, including a second job, you can claim the cost of traveling between them.

Tax Deductions for Ambulance Officers and Paramedics: Work Clothing

  • This includes the cost of purchasing, cleaning, and repairing high visibility clothing and compulsory uniforms.

  • Protective equipment that you need for work can be claimed as a deduction.

  • Conventional clothing cannot be claimed even if you must wear it.

Tax Deductions for Ambulance Officers and Paramedics: Self-Education

  • As long as you're not reimbursed for your self-education expenses, you can claim them for the purposes of your current job. Educational programs that will help you advance or earn a higher salary.

  • It is tax deductible for you to attend short courses and seminars that aim to improve your skill set.

  • But it is not deductible for courses that prepare you for a different career.

Tax Deductions for Ambulance Officers and Paramedics: Other Expenses

  • Work related equipment purchase claims can be made immediately for equipment under $300, and if the equipment is over $300, you will be able to claim depreciation over the asset's life. A business-related portion of an item can be claimed only if it is used partly for business purposes and partly for private purposes.

  • Your license and registration renewals during the term of your employment are eligible for deduction, but not the initial cost. Your driver's license is not eligible for reimbursement.

  • Union or association fees can be claimed as renewal fees.

  • Subscriptions to professional journals, magazines, and periodicals are eligible for tax deductions.

  • Attending conferences and seminars related to your job may qualify for reimbursement, including travel, meal and accommodation expenses.

Feel free to contact us for any assistance you may require. At Instant Tax Refunds, we strive to provide high-quality service that constantly meets and sometimes exceeds our customers' expectations.

36 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All