As a firefighter, you may be eligible for a variety of tax deductions. When you keep relevant receipts throughout the entire tax year, and know what you are entitled to, you can get a much healthier tax return.
Meals and Travel and Use of Motor Vehicle: Tax Deductions
· Maybe able to claim overtime meal allowance provided it states on your payment summary as an allowance received.
· For an event such as a conference, seminar, meeting, or training course, or for travelling between two stations, you can claim parking costs, tolls, taxis, and public transport.
· The cost of your personal vehicle may be claimed if it is used to travel to meetings, conferences, or training events that are not held at your usual workplace, or to visit your patients at home. The best way to provide an estimate of the number of kilometres travelled will be to keep a log of your trips in your personal vehicle.
Work Clothing: Tax Deductions
· You can claim the cost of buying, repairing, and laundering your uniform. Items such as shirts, jumpers, pants, or hats that bear a logo.
· Protective equipment, such as overalls, gloves, masks, and boots, can be claimed as an expense.
· As well as sunglasses and hats, you can also claim the costs of purchasing sun-protective items.
Training: Tax Deductions
· Attending work-related training (first aid, OHS, height safety, etc.) can be claimed as a business expense. The cost of books, stationery, and course fees are included.
· If you must stay overnight to attend, you can claim the cost of accommodations and meals.
Work Equipment: Tax Deductions
· Costs related to equipment, materials, and supplies you use for work can be claimed, including rescue and safety equipment, tools, binoculars, and whistles.
Other Expenses: Tax Deductions
· The union fee you pay to renew your membership can be claimed, but not the fee you paid to sign up.
· Journals, magazines, and periodicals related to your work can be claimed.
· Memberships and subscriptions to professional organizations may be claimed.
· It is possible to claim the costs of renewing the licenses and tickets necessary to become a firefighter.
· Use of the Internet for business purposes (claim a portion of the cost of total usage)
· Use of the telephone for work purposes (recover the business portion of the total cost)
· Management of your tax affairs can be expensive.
Contact Instant Tax Refunds for All Your Tax Return Needs.
*Terms and conditions apply.